Monday, February 10, 2020

Making some plans - 5k & 8k

Ok, I've been looking at my race PR list and I see a couple that just NEED to go.

PRs should not stand for 5+ years and it's time to make some concerted efforts for those to be replaced. I keep making excuses for why I'm not going for PRs and it's time to stop.

The 5k should be one I can knock off this year because there's, like, a 5k race every weekend in this area. Right now I'm targeting the Zoom through the Zoo 5k in early May as my goal race, but there are a few others that I can go for after that if things don't pan out.

It's a pretty flat course except for the hilly loop through the zoo at the end (of course). I ran a 21:44 last year, though the course was short and I'll have to keep a close eye on that this year - run extra through the finish line if I have to. I also read my report from 2018 and my notes stated it was NOT a PR course... so maybe we'll see. At least it'll be a good benchmark.

Anyway, I'm looking at this 8-week program from Hal Higdon (my fave training plans).

His description for this Advanced plan indicates it is for people already running "4-5 days a week, 20-30 miles a week or more". Yeah... so I'll be spending the next month working back up to that. I think instead of the Wednesday rest or easy run I'll be substituting some cross-training or strength training, as usual.

After this I want to tackle the 8k, but there are really only two in the area: Sunrise Run (early June) and the Turkey Trot 8k (Thanksgiving). If things go well in May I'll probably look to PR at the Sunrise run, but it's a HOT and hilly course... I've consistently run ~37 mins in the past few years, so maybe I can find a way to shave 3 mins off. Woof.

And after all that, maybe I'll run a fall marathon. 😏🙈

No comments:

Post a Comment