Sunday, September 30, 2018

It started out so well.

Week beginning thoughts:
Well, at least it's Monday and I've started the blog...

Monday
Did: strength
Pick it up, put it down.
Good lifting session sets the week off right.

Tuesday
Did: #10kTuesday at the track
Today was a ladder workout with the early crew at the track.

warmup
200/200 - 0:48
400/200 - 1:43
600/200 - 2:39
800/400 - 3:42
800/200 - 3:45
600/200 - 2:47
400/200 - 1:51
200 - 0:47 (sweet, faster than my first!)
cooldown

Whew. Done. Also, I don't like 600s. And I definitely don't like two 800s in a row, even with 400 recovery in between. Eugh.

Wednesday
Did: 40 mins trainer ride
Another early morning (Scott had to get up for an early flight anyway) on the trainer. I didn't feel like this was as good of a workout as my other routine, but it got the job done and hey, it's always better than nothing!
10 min WU
5/4/3/2/2 minutes "hard" effort with 1 min rest between each
10 min CD with 30s sprint every 2 mins

Thursday
Did: 4.14 mi @ 8:48/mi
Just a normal lunch run today. Been a while since I've done that! I thought it might be pretty nice outside but noooope it was HUMID. So gross. At least temperatures are coming down a wee bit... sure didn't feel like it was "only" 75 degrees though.

Friday
Did: rest day
I finally feel like I earned a rest day!

Saturday
Did: 10.14 mi @ 9:00/mi
Ran with D in the stroller, started at Furman and went north towards TR, then back. It was a nice run, good weather, pretty quiet and uneventful. The miles ticked by pretty quickly though I was definitely feeling tired quads by the time I finished. Felt good about this one!

Sunday
Did: ~17ish miles at Dupont... and injury
Well, this ride did NOT end well. Started out great (though it was rainy & foggy on the drive up), managed a dry if not a bit muddy ride and felt good.
Fog!
Was riding with Heather (one who did the Fire Mtn Enduro) and two of her guy friends. We did the "Best of Dupont" loop, which starts out on Reasonover, to Turkey Knob, around to Briery, Grassy, Sandy, Hooker Creek (forgot how fun this is!), downhill on Ridgeline, up Jim Branch & Isaac Heath, then cruised down Locust to some fun jumps.

This is where things went wrong.

I was feeling great, jumping and catching air, shouting some "woohoo!"s... and then I landed weird on the very last jump and... did something. My right side hit the ground hard, both forearms slid on the ground, I think I flipped over my bike or my bike flipped over me... somehow I came to rest with my right foot still clipped in. I sat for a minute, stunned, took stock of how everything felt (nothing broken, nothing felt too bad)... then I saw my right knee. Thought it was just a scrape, but realized quickly it was DEEP. BAD. OH NO.

Momentary freak out, then thankfully a nice man who's a doctor rode up and took a look at it ("yup... you'll need to get that stitched up...") then Heather happened to have some bandages in her pack, so I got all wrapped up. Thanked everyone and hopped on the bike (which was a little twisted in some places - crooked handlebars and seat) to make the ~5 mile trek back to the car. Ugh. I took it nice and slow, grimaced through some steep gravel hills, and made it back to the parking lot. I was so glad to be back.
The bandage made it all the way!
Packed up, drove home, then drove myself to urgent care where I got it numbed, cleaned, and stitched. 4 stitches was what it took to secure the flap/chunk of skin that had gotten torn up by the apparent rock I hit.

I'll spare everyone wound pictures (but I have them if anybody has some morbid curiosity), but this is what my Garmin looks like:
It did not survive.
I'm thankful for helmets. I'm thankful it wasn't any worse than what it was. It hurt like @#($*&@#$! after the adrenaline and Novocain wore off, mostly the sore/bruised knee in general, not the stitches themselves. I'm hobbling around but hoping after a day or so it'll be more tolerable. I'll stay loaded up on Ibuprofen until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment