Sunday, August 20, 2017

Charlotte Marathon Training - Week 6 of 18

Step-back week!
Week Beginning Thoughts: Yay, step-back week.


Monday
Planned: strength
Did: strength

I did a few reps-to-failure tests on some of my lifts. Looks like I've been underestimating myself on a few! Time to up the weight or reps on those. Lifted for a full hour today even though I was tired, and finished with the jello arms & legs feeling, so seems like it was a good day.

Tuesday
Planned: 7 m run
Did: 7.03 mi @ 8:30/mi avg pace (#10kTuesday and then some!)
It was pea-soupy out this morning (foggy and SO HUMID). I was up late and got up early, so I was verrrryyyyy tired when I started the run.

Pea soup.
I didn't have grand plans for pace, just wanted to get.it.done. And whatdya know, I ended up with a pretty darn good pace afterall!

Negative splits all the way? Pretty close. Whoa.
I felt like I was slowing down towards the end, but uh, apparently not. Glad to get this done in the morning and have it out of the way!

Wednesday
Planned: XT + 3 m run
Did: 14.4 mi bike @ 16.6 mph avg speed
Nixed the run portion today and went out for a hard ride with Donnie at lunch. We did the Sherman College loop, just like last time, and averaged about the same speed! It was HOT today. We were pleasantly surprised to see a section of our route had just been repaved. Nothing like riding on smooooooth fresh asphalt!

Thursday
Planned: 3 m run - INT
Did: 3.4 mi @ 8:09/mi avg, #speedworkThursday
Thought some treadmill speed intervals would be a good final tune-up to get the legs ready for Saturday's 5k race.

800m warm-up (9:30/mi)
400/400 intervals, first one at 6:30/mi then pushed the remaining ones to 6:15/mi pace
Final speed interval I had some good music on, so did 800m instead of 400m.

Emojis as reasoning for pace anomalies. 
This workout felt... easy? Too short? I struggle with such short workouts for marathon training. I feel like I should be doing MOAR, but I'll do as I'm told (by my training plan).

Friday
Planned: yoga
Did: yoga
This was needed today. Good hip flexor stretches.

Saturday
Planned: 7 m pace
Did: Michelin 5k Race + 2mi before and 2mi after the race
Read all about it in the race report entry.

Sunday
Planned: 10 m run
Did: 10.02 mi @ 10:57/mi
Great run with my ladies this morning! I almost bailed out because I wasn't feeling great last night, but I'm so glad I stuck it out and got to run with Megan & Robin this morning. We headed out from the house at 7, headed through Green Valley via Old White Horse Rd, then parted ways at the "back entrance" to Green Valley for Megan's return to the house. Robin and I continued through TR and returned via the Swamp Rabbit. It was a nice morning, though of course humid, but was calm and felt nice. We pushed through some hills at the end as we re-entered my neighborhood, definitely kicked it to round out the 10 miles. Feels good to get that done!

Week Ending thoughts: Still feeling good, but step-back week was definitely needed since I was feeling drained. Everything gets longer next week (4 & 8 mile mid-week runs, with 8 and 16 weekend runs) so I need to gather my wits about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment