Monday, August 24, 2026

S2S Training: Week 5 of 14

Week 5 plan/goals: Pre-Race Taper
  • Long run of 10 miles OR split 8 mi / 3 mi with 1,500 ft vert
  • 10k Hill workout: 10km Hill Strength. 1.5-mile easy warm-up. 3.2 miles of continuous hilly terrain (or 5 x 3-minute hard uphill bounds with a slow jog recovery down). 1.5-mile easy cool-down.
  • Wednesday 50-60 min Zone 2 trail
  • Friday 4-5 miles easy
Monday
rest
Yes indeed. Needed!

Tuesday
6.35 mi @ 9:49/mi Altamont run
It's been since the Paris Mtn 20k in December that I've run up Altamont road, and with the need for vert I decided it was time to tackle it again! Met with a couple of friends who agreed to do crazy things with me and we made our way up and down the mountain. 

Gorgeous sunrise treat!

2.3 mi @ 13:14/mi
Super short and easy run at Rockers run club including a slip'n'slide and beer stop. Fun times!

Wednesday
50 min (3.7 mi) singletrack 
Took a late afternoon spin on the trails at Your Momma's House (SCRA) and was slower than normal but trying to keep the heart rate in check for Zone 2. It was quite hot and legs were still pretty cooked.

Mama & baby deer!

Wheel of trail fortune!

Alt Rock 

Thursday
43 min strength
Found some workouts online that I decided to follow, one is about downhill running strength and the other is a simple 3-workout rotation that I should be able to do, although requires gym access so I can't do at home which is the difficult part. 

Friday
4.2 mi easy run @ 9:51/mi
Out and back on flat roads at work, still stupid hot but some clouds rolling through helped. 

Saturday
8 mi trail
Ran during kiddo's bike race at Poinsett State Park which has lovely trails but being in the lowcountry means it's even muggier than usual. I'm hoping that's what drained me so badly because this run should not have been that difficult, but after 8 miles I was toast!


The spanish moss is so pretty!

Skinner's Shed 😱



Palmetto Trail was not maintained... turned around.



Sunday
lawn mow
No workout but mowed the lawn. Decided to get in the last 3 miles of the weekend mileage with some planned easy miles on Monday morning.


Week 5 Summary
  • 🟨Long run of 10 miles OR split 8 mi / 3 mi with 1,500 ft vert - short on miles and vert
  • 10k Hill workout: 10km Hill Strength. - yep
  • Wednesday 50-60 min Zone 2 trail - done
  • Friday 4-5 miles easy - done
A little shy of 25 miles for the week seems like such a huge drop from over 40 last week! But I guess that is the point of a drop-back week and I'm hoping it means I'll be in good shape to tackle more this week and perform well at the 6-hr next Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment