Week 4 plan/goals:
- Long run of 22 miles OR split runs 16 & 10 miles, with 5,000ft elevation
- 10k Hill workout: 10km Hill Strength. 1.5-mile easy warm-up. 3.2 miles of continuous hilly terrain (or 5 x 3-minute hard uphill bounds with a slow jog recovery down). 1.5-mile easy cool-down.
- Wednesday 50-60 min Zone 2 trail
- Friday 4-5 miles easy
Monday
rest
Too much to catch up on after being gone all weekend and part of last week.
Tuesday
6.24mi @ 9:52/mi XC
Didn't quite do the hilly workout, just ran XC trails at lunch... felt good for the first 5k but man I died after that. Heat, hydration, fueling... something wasn't right. Heart rate was through the roof.
4.86 mi trail run
OK well what I lacked in hills on Tuesday's run I made up for tonight! Ran at SCRA (aka Yo Mama's House) while D had practice, but we had to start from a different entrance due to some construction at the main parking lot. Technically the trails are closed but we were allowed to practice so I didn't ask questions and went ahead and ran. 😅 This side has more moderate (blue) trails so had quite a bit more hills than the green ones from the main lot! Got 725 ft of climbing in under 5 miles 😳
Thursday
40 min strength + 1.5 mi walk
Finally back in the gym at work for a little upper body and core work. I say it every time, but I have to make this more of a priority/consistent behavior. I saw a meme or post on Instagram that said "make it routine, make it boring, take out the guesswork". Basically do the same routine every time in the gym. Same exercises, so you don't have that decision fatigue going into it. Might make sense... will have to find a routine I like first though 😂
Friday
4.63 mi @ 9:46/mi
Fr8 Friday run club - easy miles on the rail trial for 45 minutes.
Saturday
17.9 mi trail run w/ 4,700 ft vert
Oh boy this was an adventure! Asked a trail running friend for a route recommendation and this did not disappoint (though was quite tough!). The loop started at the Black Mountain Trail in Pisgah, up in a counter-clockwise loop over several peaks and back down.
It was already warm starting off, but I had my bag packed with as much water as I could carry plus my emergency filtration bottle, as well as snackssss for days. The initial climb (~2,000 ft over ~4 miles) was brutal and slow-going, mostly hiked it, but the views of Looking Glass Rock from the higher peaks was amazing!
There were rumbles of thunder in the distance for about the last half of the run, and I could see the dark clouds but they stayed away thankfully.
![]() |
| Saw a little baby snek friend! |
Got low on water and filled the reservoir from Avery Creek after the insane descent into the valley. This worked great and was much needed before the climb up Pressley Cove.
Finished with a couple miles of downhill back to the parking lot... legs were toast after that, and got to the car just in time for the rain to start! Perfect timing to head to the Hub for refreshment.
Sunday
7 mi trail run w/ 1,200 ft vert
Since yesterday's run was more distance and vert than the first of the "split run" plan, I shortened the mileage from 10 to planned 8 miles, but ended up with 7 because the vert here was more than needed. Also my legs (and soul) were dead. Definitely didn't eat enough food after the Saturday adventure to make up for what I burned and I could feel it today! Hikers-only Sulphur Springs was roughhhhh.
![]() |
| Unhealthy-looking deer who did not care I was so close |
![]() |
| Blue-tailed skink! |
Week summary thoughts
✅ Long run with 5,000ft elevation - 18 + 7 miles, 6,000ft = done with bonus elevation
✅ 10k Hill workout - not so much hilly, but made up for it Wednesday so calling it done
✅ Wednesday 50-60 min Zone 2 trail - see above, 60 min trail done
✅ Friday 4-5 miles easy - yep.
Just over 40 miles for the week, 35 of them off-road miles. I feel strong and positive about my training this week! It was exhausting and I'm looking forward to a bit of a "down" week ahead.





















No comments:
Post a Comment