Monday, March 23, 2020

5k PR Training (Week 1 of 8)

Well, I'm starting this training plan with all expectations that things will go awry given the current state of the world. Here we go...

Monday
Planned: 3mi easy w/ 8x30s hills
Did: 3.42 mi w/ 8x 30s hills
Did this run on the trails today and did repeats on "the Mile 1 hill" on the Earth Run course. Ended up with faster than 30s repeats for everything after the first one, but all 0:25-0:30. Not bad! It was chilly and misty out, and kind of ominous.
Grey Skies

The Hill

Tuesday
Planned: 6x400/400 track workout
Did: 6.32 mi @ 9:52/mi avg while D biked
Didn't get out to the track this morning (working from home, plus it was raining, plusalso no group runs = social distancing) so I took D out on his bike in the afternoon. I asked him if he thought he could bike six miles, and he said yes, so we gave it a try. He made it 5.3 miles before he got tired and we switched to the stroller! His longest bike ride yet. So proud. :) Not saying this was the most efficient run but we got it done and enjoyed the sunshine.
Muddy butt and funny face
Wednesday
Planned: XT/strength
Did: P90x Kenpo X + Ab Ripper X
It was cloudy and blah outside, so we did an indoor workout today. My little dude joined me for some kickboxing action! He actually sat through a 45+ minute workout and participated a little with me. Really proud of him.
  
 

Thursday
Planned: 30 min tempo or track
Did: 4.05 mi @ 9:33/mi
Didn't do the speedwork as planned. My local track (Furman) is closed so I think track workouts are going to have to be done in some alternate fashion. Probably time-based speedwork. Ugh, this is going to be hard. However, also got word that my goal 5k was rescheduled to July. So I guess I have more time to train, but that leaves me a bit aimless.

Friday
Planned: yoga or rest
Did: 60 min Power Flow online
The local yoga studio I'd been going to has started offering online live-stream classes. I hadn't tried it yet but they offered a free class tonight at 6pm. Not a great time for our family schedule but we shifted dinner time and got D watching a movie (Wall-E, his favorite) and took the opportunity to stretch it out. It was good! I might buy a month pass (they're offering $30/mo for unlimited online classes vs. $10/class drop-in rate). We'll see. 

Saturday
Planned: 4 mi progression run
Did: 9.23 mi @ 9:56/mi
This run was for mental clarity. My left hammie/glute is still giving me issues, so I am going to try to "take it easy" for a while - minimal (if any) speedwork, walking up hills, stretching (gently). I took this run and wanted distance, but of course the hills of Green Valley offered many walking breaks. It was a beautiful warm spring day and I was very glad to get the distance I wanted.

In the afternoon we also took a family bike ride and did an easy ~6 miles together on the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

Sunday
Planned: 60 min run
Did: Power Flow Yoga - 60 mins
Another class from SoulYoga - so good! I bought their $30 unlimited pass for the month and hope to do a few classes each week. It's not quite the same intensity as the hot studio but I do still love the classes. Plus, Scott & I do them together so it's a nice time for us. Anybody can stream the classes live - check out http://www.soulyogastudio.com/, there's usually 4 or 5 classes every day (one Sculpt class, the others various types of yoga). Highly recommend!


Week ending thoughts:
Yeah, it's safe to say this training plan is already out the window. With my goal race cancelled, no access to a track or treadmill (oh yeah, my work gym is closed now, too), it's hard to say what the coming weeks (months?) will hold. Just gonna stay active. Instead of '5k PR Training' series, this is now 'Coronavirus' series.

No comments:

Post a Comment