Monday, May 15, 2017

Race Report: Cradle to Grave 30k

A little less than 7 weeks ago, I decided to run this race. I didn't really know what to expect or have any plans other than "oh boy that's a really long trail run." I followed my loosely-concocted training plan and felt decent going into the race.

Pre-race

It wasn't until I was planning out my morning-of schedule that I realized I was going to have to leave the house at 5:15 a.m. in order to get to the start at a good time. In my head all along, I'd had "oh it's about an hour away", but really, it was more like 1.5 hours. Scott decided to go with me (so thankful!) despite the fact that he'd just flown back from Japan the night before. We also had the challenge of finding breakfast options that were open that early. Thank goodness for Dunkin Donuts. Beth runs on Dunkin, apparently. Specifically, I ran on a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel + cream filled chocolate iced doughnut. And coffee. '

We got to the start area with plenty of time and lots of parking left. Hooray, Mission #1 accomplished. We parked, I got my packet, took advantage of the visitor center restrooms (yes, REAL restrooms on race morning!), and then hung out in the car for a little while before getting my shoes and hydration vest on.

 
 

This race is pretty small, total cap of about 200 participants for the 30k. Despite its small size, it was very very well organized and supported. It still had a casual feel to it, though, and we all kind of milled around in the start area until an older gentleman in overalls shot a shotgun to start the race.

And we're off!
Race

I could best sum up the course as a 7 mile nature trail / gravel road run to a 4-mile strenuous hike loop, and then back 7 miles to where we started. I would have called this an easy course except for the Pilot Cove/Slate Rock loop. But of course, that's where the incredible views are, so it makes it all worth it.

Pretty trails
One of many crossings
I took several pics of this guy because I was behind him basically the entire time we were on singletrack before reaching the forest service roads. He was keeping a good and steady pace, so I didn't mind. I chatted with a few people but mostly enjoyed a quiet run through the woods.

The first couple of aid stations came up much quicker than I'd expected, and I felt like I was making good progress. I didn't really stop any any stations because I had my pack with snacks. I had a few pretzels at one, but otherwise stuck with my own supplies.

After a few miles on the gravel roads, we reached the steep climb up Pilot Cove / Slate Rock. I knew it was coming, so I had no qualms about walking (hiking) the entire climb. There was no way I could run it any faster than I could hike it, and knowing there was a) the descent and b) the 7 mile return trip to finish the race, I knew I had to conserve where I could.
Climbing

Steep hike

Elevation
The climb is basically ~850 feet over 2 miles. Pretty darn close to the climb up Altamont Road, but on rooty trail instead of asphalt. The descent is even worse... same vertical but about half the horizontal distance. It's worth it though.

Just look at that view!
Made it!
The clouds and fog parted in time for my arrival at the overlook bald rock. It was breathtaking! I stopped for a photo op and admired the view for a few seconds, then headed towards the descent. I walked/hiked a lot of the descent, because running would have been incredibly dangerous. It wasn't overly technical, but on tired legs, I had to take care to make sure my footing was secure.

The fire roads (gravel, ugh) were a bit tough. I didn't enjoy the next few miles, and took a couple of walk breaks to eat some more food. My legs were tired and the gravel roads were mentally challenging. Just kept plodding along and felt a mental boost when I got back onto the singletrack that I knew meant I was getting closer.

In the middle of a creek crossing
Ooooh, rhododendron tunnels!
When I exited the Pink Beds Loop trail, the volunteer at the turn (this course has awesome volunteers!) said, "Welcome back! Just around the corner and you can hear them cheering at the finish! You're almost there!" I was SO glad. I usually hate when course monitors say "almost there" because it's usually not true (or not true enough to make me feel good about it), but this was an accurate enough "almost there" statement that it gave me just the boost I needed to finish strong.

 

Final time: 3:30:39

Soooooo close to my original goal of 3:30, but you know what, I'm okay with it. My adjusted goal after a few weeks of training was 4 hours, so this was much faster than that estimate. Whatever, I'm happy with the result! 

The post-race food and festivities were awesome. Incredible food, tasty Oskar Blues beverages, and a great bluegrass band playing. I would have enjoyed hanging around, but I was cold and wet (from rain and sweat), and we had things to get done at home. Still, it was a great experience and I was really happy that Scott was there with me. I highly recommend this race to anyone who loves trails!

Edit: After many months, the race photos got posted! I made a new entry here

No comments:

Post a Comment