Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Race Report: Carolina Reaper Challenge - Death Pepper 50k

OK, now that I've had a few days to recover...

Saturday was the Carolina Reaper Challenge 50k in Anderson, SC. 
The format of the race is exactly the same as the Snowbird Challenge 50k that I did in January, except instead of dealing with the cold (or in this year's case, rain) you're dealing with absolute monstrous heat.

Basic summary:
Run a ~2.6 mile loop starting every 45 minutes. Do this 12x to complete the 50k. 

The Sparkle City team

Same format but man, the experience could not have been any different. Looking at my lap splits from Snowbird, not a single one of my laps from this year's Reaper was faster than any of the Snowbird laps. 

Cutting it close on those last two 😳

It was hard from Lap 1, even though I felt like I was holding back on pace and running conservatively, I still went out a little too fast and burned up energy I should have been saving. The last 3-4 laps I was definitely dehydrated and despite draining my handheld water bottle on every lap, I was still not putting in enough fluids. I wasn't able to run much at all of the last few laps, but power walked and jogged when I could (mostly downhill or the few shady spots on the course). 

People along course spraying participants with water guns, and the folks at the tents at the start/finish who were so quick to refill bottles, hand over bags of ice, and get the runners turned around for their next loop were incredible. 

Sunrise in Anderson

Feeling festive (before the race)

Fire Nails

Maybe one lap in??


Next day = remnants of heat rash on my ankles


Overall a crazy difficult experience, but amazing to see everyone's determination to finish the dang thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment