Monday, November 14, 2022

The Week with the Sore Hamstrings

Monday
Did: 1.3 mi walk + 45 min gym session
Took an early morning walk around the neighborhood to start the day. Got to work and mid-morning I FINALLY got in a good lifting session and mannnnn am I sore. I got the bodyweight workout done (starting over with Week 3 to see if I can finally get through this 6-week schedule) plus some weights in the gym. 
50-40-30-20-10 shoulder taps (R+L=1) and air squats
10-20-30-40-50 skater lunges (R+L=2) and crunches

Tuesday
Did: 6.24 mi @ 7:53/mi avg + 2.42 mi @ 8:28 + 10 min bodyweight workout
Started off the day at the track downtown with a beautiful blood moon (full lunar eclipse!) at the beginning before the clouds rolled in. Did 3x1 mile repeats (7:06, 7:03, 7:02) then felt good enough after finishing that I took an extra loop through the park and back to downtown. Lovely morning! 
Then got the bodyweight workout done when I got home... mannnnn everything is sore LOL
30-20-10 countdown to 3-2-1: Russian twists (1), crunches, Spidey abs (1)

Wednesday
Did: 4.13 mi @ 9:30/mi avg
I am shocked by how sore my legs STILL are. OMG. Hamstrings especially, found it hard to move starting out on this easy run. Whew I hope they will loosen up over the course of the day. Yikes.
Midday bodyweight session: 50 reverse situps, 40 alternating plank toe taps (R+L=2), 30 tri dips, 20 pushups, 10 burpees, 1 min plank hold; then go back up

Thursday
Did: 4 mi treadmill run
My right hamstring is still super painful... worried it might be more than muscle soreness. Ugh. It feels okay after I get it moving (well, at least it doesn't hurt worse) so I feel like just keeping some gentle exercise is the best solution. Ran on the treadmill at the work gym and got in a quick tempo - 1 mile warm-up, 2 mile tempo at 7:30/mi pace, 1 mile cool-down. Not too bad, though I had 3 mile tempo in mind when I started... but decided not to push it.

Friday
Did: 3.1 mi @ 9:58/mi
The rain finally cleared up in late afternoon so I took an easy 5k on the trail before I picked D up from school. Felt pretty good, still sore hammy, but it's finally improving. 

Saturday
Did: 2.3 mi trail run + 4.2 mi hike
Kind of a last minute visit to Paris Mtn State Park, but ended up having a lovely group of folks come out for a hike! Got there a little early and did a quick up and down on Sulphur Springs trail, then met the group and we did the full Sulphur Springs loop (counter-clockwise). Several folks had never been on the hiker-only part of the trail, so that was a fun new experience. :) Turned out to be a lovely morning after the fog burned off.







Sunday
Did: 3 mi walking + 30 min bodyweight workouts
Did a couple of walks (one in the early morning, then one in the neighborhood near church) in the brisk sunny morning - shocking how much temperatures had dropped since yesterday! Then got the last 2 bodyweight workouts done in the evening... finally the hamstring is happy.
4 rounds (15 min total): 3 mins repeating 6x jump squats, pushups, up-downs, shoulder taps (1) / 1 min rest = 14 rounds total
100 Mtn climbers (2), 90 Russian twists (2), 80 high knees (1), 70 air squats w side leg raise (one side only, do the other leg on the way back), 60s plank, 50 skater lunges (2), 40 shoulder taps (2), 30 push-ups, 20 chair dips, 10 burpees = 11:23


The sore hamstring derailed some of my mileage goals for the week but still managed just over 22 miles for the week. Learned my lesson to not go so hard on the weights after not doing any in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment