Monday, September 30, 2019

Cloudland Canyon 50k Training (Week 8 of 14)

Ok... a week with  no travel or weird afternoon commitments. Maybe this one will be successful in hitting my training goals?

Week 8:
- 45 mpw (yeah, that's not gonna happen... probably target 35-40)
- 10+10 long runs... probably going to change this too.

Monday
Planned: 5 mi trail at work
Did: 5.02 mi @ 9:06/mi avg
Late afternoon trail run = it was hot. But I kept telling myself "TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF FALL YAYYYY" to make myself feel better that it could ONLY get better from here (I know that's not true but... hey, these are the mind games we play).
Look! Tiny bits of color on the leaves! 

Tuesday
Planned: TrackTuesday
Did: 7.43 mi @ 8:11/mi avg
Met the crew downtown for some early Tuesday track work. It's been a few weeks since I was able to make it, and was nice to be back out there instead of on the treadmill (even though temperature was not exactly comfortable). I did a downward ladder workout today...
2x1200m (5:07, 5:18)
2x800m (3:33, 3:27)
3x400m (1:39, 1:35, 1:32)
Couldn't quite squeak out a sub-6 pace for the 400s but perhaps another day.

Wednesday
Planned: strength
Did: 50 min strength
Wow, I've missed a few weeks of solid lifting... I could definitely tell today! Got in a session in the gym first thing this morning due to an all-day commitment at work, and of course I enjoyed getting it done early.

Thursday
Planned: run
Did: 4.94 mi @ 8:34/mi avg
Almost didn't make this run due to my alarm not going off, but I went from asleep to out of the house in ~11 minutes and made it just in time to meet the group! Was a relatively easy run but nice to get in some early miles around downtown.

Friday
Planned: not sure
Did: yoga
Actually made it to yoga class at lunch for the first time in forEVER and it was exactly what I needed.

Saturday
Planned: long trail run or medium road run
Did: 13.01 mi trail run
Based on how this run started out, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get done what I wanted to do today... I headed to Paris Mountain around 8am, although halfway there realized I'd forgotten my Garmin watch at home... so I turned around, went home to get it, and then went to the park. I started out and had a lot of stiffness/tightness in my left lower calf, and ended up walking up the entire climb up Sulphur Springs. Got to the top and started running again, and ended up feeling pretty good the rest of the run. I walked up a lot of the "steep Kanuga" sections but otherwise it was a good ~3 hours in the woods. I'd wanted 12-15 miles and ended up with 13... not bad.
Leaves starting to show color on the ground

Lake view

Trail with crunchy leaves

Dam waterfall

Sock line made of dirt = a good day on the trail

Sunday
Planned: other from Saturday
Did: 10.03 mi @ 9:39/mi avg
Long stroller run with the little dude this morning - it was already hot by the time we started out from Furman, and I was struggling to maintain a 10 min/mi pace. Just chugged along and got it done, glad to have hit the mileage I wanted but happy to be finished!

Weekly miles: 40.43 - yay, finally hit 40 mpw!
Really happy with how this week went, but realizing my long runs on the trail are going to have to get really long very soon. With just over a month to the 25k and not even being at that distance yet. I'm getting nervous.... o_0

No comments:

Post a Comment