Saturday, August 3, 2024

Race Report: Park City Trail Series - Half Marathon

Of the two Utah races, this is the one I signed up for first. After doing the Tushars Mountain race last weekend, I was much more confident/comfortable going into this race and I think it showed! I was feeling relaxed and ready after being in Utah (at pretty decent elevation) for the week, and knowing I was OK running the previous weekend at 10,000+ feet. This race was in the ~8,000ft altitude range with a predicted 1,200ft of elevation gain over the course of the ~13.5 miles. 

I drove the ~15 min from the hotel to the race site easily in the morning, picked up my race bib and awesome swag (buff, coffee mug, and stickers!), then had time to chill before the start. 




The weather was, once again, perfection. Cool (low-50s) temps in the morning, warming to the 80s by mid-morning, and plenty of sunshine. A few announcements before the race, and off we went!

I'd loaded the course onto my Garmin watch, and was able to see the elevation and the remaining mileage easily. It also gave me beeps everytime there was a turn, but the markings were awesome so there was no question or issue with navigation. The biggest climb was pretty early in the race, and it was made manageable by the fact that we were all still getting in a good running order - difficult to pass on the singletrack so had to slow down in some places that I otherwise might have pushed a little harder. 

Gorgeous sky and mountains and trail! 



The course was awesome - not technical, dry and rocky for the most part, no super steep climbs, fun switchbacks and winding trail... just overall great! I felt really good physically too and was able to run about 95% of it. I do think I started my finish-line push a bit early since I could hear the finish line announcements about 2 miles away and thought I was closer than I actually was (even though I had the mileage on my watch!). Still, really enjoyed this race to round out my time in Utah. Finished in 2:20 - really happy with this time!

Dirt tan lines - so dusty!

Finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment