Tuesday, December 5, 2023

The week with 2 Altamont climbs

Monday
Did: 2.94 mi @ 9:07/mi + 1 mi pup night walk
Got in a short neighborhood run mid-morning, then took the pup for a walk after kiddo bedtime. 

Tuesday
Did: 10 min sandbag workout + 6.24 mi @ 8:29/mi
Did a quick sandbag workout in the morning before heading to work. 


Lunchtime got out in the chilly but lovely sunshine for a #10kTuesday. Pretty good pace but definitely was feeling tired legs.

Wednesday
Did: 1.4 mi run + 3.7 mi ruck
Early morning freezing loop in the neighborhood and a ruck on the 5k course at lunch while at the office.

Thursday
Did: 6.0 mi @ 10:01/mi run
Got talked into an Altamont climb this morning and turned out to be pretty alright! 

Moon from the mountaintop

Friday
Did: 2 mi pup walk + 9.37 mi @ 11:04/mi run
So, on Thursday afternoon we had a holiday social at work. There was some wine. Then there was a conversation in the run group chat about "hey what if we did something crazy and ran the Paris Mountain Road Race 20k route on Friday night to beat the rain this weekend". And next thing I knew, I had said, "I'm in!" 😂
Friday morning I got up and took the pup for a walk after morning school drop-off. 
For the crazy run, most folks were meeting up at one person's apartment and running from there (about 3.5 miles from the base of Altamont Road, along the run course). I decided I would start at a similar time but from a location closer to Altamont to get a slight head start, knowing the group would catch me eventually since those running were much faster than I am. I had Scott drop me off at a church near the base of Altamont road and I started running from there a little after 5:30pm, just at dusk. Also, this is when it started sprinkling rain. (remember, this run was to beat the rain)

So off I trot, up the mountain, taking my time since I was hoping the group would catch me. I reached the top just before 6 and saw a message that the group had just left from their starting point. I waited around for a few minutes, but the rain started coming down even harder and it was getting chilly, so I decided to keep moving. 

I got absolutely poured on as I descended the CVS side of Altamont... like, couldn't hardly see the road in front of me due to the rain and fog. Just tried to keep the white stripe on the side of the road in view. Thankfully there wasn't much traffic, and I could just keep trucking down the mountain. 
Made it to CVS and saw another message that the rest of the group had just made it to the top... so at that point I knew I would be running the full thing solo. I decided to finish the run all the way to our finish point at the Travelers Taproom and really had a strangely enjoyable time since the rain had stopped by this point. I loved running through the quiet dark roads and seeing all of the houses lit up with Christmas lights! 🤩

Saturday
Did: 2.3 mi pup ruck + 1.1 mi run


Sunday
Did: 3.0 mi @ 9:38/mi
Legs were tireddddd today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment