Monday, August 28, 2023

The week where I ran Altamont twice

Getting in that hill training for BRR!

Monday
Did: 3.14 mi @ 8:44/mi avg + 1 mi pup ruck + 12 min ruck strength
Got a nice morning run at sunrise before the temps got too warm. Took the pup for a walk after dinner with the 20# pack and then did a small strength workout once I got home (push-ups, sit-ups, chest press, leg lifts).

Tuesday
Did: 6.3 mi @ 8:12/mi + 60 min Vinyasa 
Had an early meeting at work, but thankfully track friends were able to join me starting at 5 instead of 5:30. Did 6x600 at the downtown track (all 2:31-2:34) and felt pretty good despite the insane heat/humidity even that early in the morning.
In the afternoon, got to do Vinyasa at Soul Yoga. It was a pretty challenging class despite not being a "power" class. Felt good!

Wednesday
Did: 10 min treadmill run + 20 min strength
Feeling low energy today so kept it short and sweet in the work gym.

Thursday
Did: 6.0 mi Altamont run
Climbed the mountain with friends this morning! Felt stronger/faster this week than last but was a hard run as always.
Found a teeny friend on me when I got in the car!

Friday
Did: 2.07 mi @ 9:02/mi avg + 1.8 mi pup ruck 
Morning run miles in the neighborhood before school drop-off, then followed with a ruck pup walk on the trail after drop-off. Still feeling it in the shoulders after about 30 mins with the 20lb pack, but getting better and better each time. 

Saturday
Did: 14.02 mi @ 10:22/mi avg
Got a wild idea to solo run the Paris Mtn Road Race 20k route for my long run this morning. I started out walking from the house since the route would have been about 16-17 miles if I'd included everything from door to door. Opted to build in a solid walk at the beginning and end of the route to make it not so long on the running since I haven't done more than 12 miles in quite some time.
I walked about 3/4 mi before I started running. I wasn't feeling super energized and it was already hot & humid as I made my way up the mountain. I stopped for several walking breaks since I knew I had a longggg way to go.


need to repaint the YOU MADE IT line

As usual (but is very easy to forget), getting up and over the mountain on Altamont Road is only half the battle (quite literally... you're only 6 miles in). The rolling hills of the neighborhoods that await you for the next half of the route are just as tough. Not as much constant climbing, but significant ups and downs. 
Can't beat the views though!

I struggled and walked a lot of the second half, but convinced myself I was going to get 14 miles done. I got this just as I reached the Swamp Rabbit Trail on the other side of Hwy 276 and began walking back home (about 1.5 miles). Thankfully Scott was on his way back from running errands and picked me up with about a mile to go to the house. 😂 I was DONE. Pretty proud though... 14 miles and 1500+ ft of climbing!

Sunday
Did: 1.1 mi @ 9:25/mi + 1 mi walk
Quick neighborhood loop before church was all I had time to squeeze in. Got out for a short walk while D was in Sunday School but man it was already so hot out!


Almost 34 miles for the week - happy with that! 
Not so great on the strength training front. Still struggling to find the right balance and time enough for everything I want to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment