Monday, April 24, 2017

Cradle to Grave 30k Training - 4 Weeks to go

Week Recap:
I feel good reaching the 15-mile mark in my long run. I'm now much less concerned about the race distance in a few weeks! Still need to keep up the momentum, but I'm feeling good.

Weekly steps: Had a few days that required dancing around while brushing my teeth before bed to get in the last necessary steps, but the streak is still going! I also set a personal record on Saturday... between running 15 miles in the morning and walking all around Charlotte in the afternoon, I got over 43,000!


Monday
Planned: strength training
Did: 1 mi treadmill + strength training

Another good session today. Started out with a mile on the treadmill for a warm-up, and my hips/back still feels stiff. Need to be diligent about the stretching exercises for it, and my side-steps with resistance band apparently needs to be intensified to strengthen the hip adductor/abductor muscles.

Did my lifting intermittently while watching Boston Marathon footage on the gym TV. 3 sets of 8-12 reps each.

pull-up (30lb assist)
tri dips (30lb assist)
deadlift (40lb dumbbell)
-----
seated chest press (60lb)
squat press (55lb)
calf raise (55lb)
-----
curl (18lb dumbbell)
OH press (18lb dumbbell)
quad extension (40lb)
hamstring curl (40lb)
-----
goblet squat (40lb dumbbell)
rotator cuff (6lb dumbbells)
extended bicep curls (6lb dumbbells)
-----
resistance band side-step
OH tri press (25lb dumbbell)
one-arm row (25lb dumbbell)

Finished with 20x heels-to-heaven, mason twist, and med ball toe-touches.

Tuesday
Planned: #10kTuesday
Did: 6.33 mi @ 9:00/mi 
I did the first 3.2 mi on the treadmill indoors, due to the rain. I considered doing the whole run on the tready as a progression run, but after a few miles my brain was thinking "Ugh. SIX." so I headed outdoors for the final 3. Turned out to be a lovely run, nice cool temps and a teeny sprinkling of rain that was nice and refreshing.

Wednesday
Planned: bike ride
Did: 5 x 400 at 5k pace treadmill intervals
The rain pooped on our bike ride again today. Grrrr. So I ended up on the hamster wheel in the gym this afternoon and decided on quarter-mile intervals at 5k pace. Warmed up with 0.75mi at an easy pace, then alternated quarter mile speed (7:00/mi) with quarter mile recovery (9:30/mi), then cooled down to round out 3.5 miles.

Thursday
Planned: speedwork run
Did: 14.4 mi bike ride
Today's weather was much nicer, so I brought my bike and was able to get out at lunch for a very nice solo road ride. Did the Sherman College loop, felt good though maybe a bit sluggish... this cough/phlegmy yuckiness really just needs to go away because it's keeping me awake at night. The past two nights I've woken up and had a coughing fit around 3am. Blergh. Anyway, I still managed an average 15.3 mph speed, so that was good. Plus, ahhhhh sunshine :)

Friday
Planned: yoga
Did: nothing
I could have used the yoga today, but work meetings got in the way. I did take a couple of short walks at work due to the super nice weather.

Saturday
Planned: Paris Mountain run + extra miles (13-15 mi)
Did: Exactly as planned, 15.07 mi @ 9:25/mi
This run went exactly as planned. Crazy awesome! I woke up early (for a weekend) to get this run done before we left town to visit my folks. Left the house as soon as the sun was up enough for me to feel comfortable running without a light/reflective vest (~6:45am). My plan was to run Altamont Road up to the top of Paris Mountain then come back down to the Swamp Rabbit and tack on as many miles as I could in the time I had remaining. The run up Altamont was beautiful in the early morning light, and mostly quiet. I had to walk a few times, but I felt good going up and enjoyed the views.
 


Total of 25:41 for the ascent. Definitely not my fastest. 
The swamp rabbit miles and the rest of the run back to my house were a pretty decent pace considering I haven't run this kind of distance in a long time! Mostly mid- to upper-8s and low to mid-9s. I felt good through the entire run, though I think I need some different socks because the bottoms of my forefoot started getting sore/blister-y feeling towards the end. I didn't end up with any blisters, but it definitely doesn't feel awesome. 
Oh, hello hill!
Sunday

Planned: nothing?
Did: nothing
A car trip + rain rain rain meant another rest day. After all the walking and running from Saturday, though, I don't really think I missed out on anything critical. Plus, these allergies are kicking my butt! Ugh, go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment